- Product Description
2.25 lb. Dayton axe head outfitted with a 24″ curved hickory handle. Popularly referred to as a “boy’s” axe. A “mid” sized tool. Dayton pattern originated from the Dayton, Ohio, area.
Optional Sheath - Natural Leather Mask
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with boiled Linseed Oil over the as forged finish.
- 24″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/4″ of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
Order can take up to 3 business days to process through our warehouse. During high volume time, it could be up to 6 business days. All transit times are based on once your order ships.
WITHIN UNITED STATES:
We offer the following options:
- Standard Shipping - average transit time is 5 to 10 business days; however, most arrive in 5 to 7 business days.
- UPS Ground - average transit 1-5 business days
OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES:
Shipping charges DO NOT INCLUDE any duties, taxes, and/or import fees impost by your country's custom and/or clearance offices.
We offer the following services to most areas:
- UPS Standard to Canada - average transit 1 to 3 business days
- UPS Worldwide Expedited - average transit 2 to 5 business days
- UPS Worldwide Express - average transit 1 to 3 business days
- FedEx International Economy - average transit 2 to 5 business days
- FedEx International Priority - average transit 1 to 3 business days
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
So as expected it didn't come with a edge. But after spending a total of 30 minutes with a stone I had the bad boy nearly shaving sharp. I normally don't like putting a edge that sharp on my axes because in my experience they roll and chip easier. But I have had this axe for going 6 months or better and I have only ever touched it up 2 or 3 times and I use it pretty regular. It's a bit heavier than expected but It splits wood like a champ! My only regret is not getting the 28" handled model since it is heavy. But I find this axe pretty easy to tuck in a pack although it spend most of its time in the truck. I do believe it won't look out of place in my trap basket this winter.
So in short, if you at looking for a great pack axe and don't mind a little weight then look no further, and the money you save with buying this axe you can use to buy a puck sharpener for the short amount of time to sharpen it after you get it, and any touch ups throughout its life.. and a good sheath (if they're still being sold here).